Friday, April 17, 2015

My Inspiration ~ Barb MCcain

                                                  Barb McCain ~ My Inspiration
                                                             By: Sierra M.

Have you ever wondered what inspires those millionaires and well-known people in the world? Yes, even millionaires have people who inspire them; people like Barb McCain, a regular person on the outside, but outstanding on the inside. Barb lives in a small apartment with a roommate and goes to work as a para in the school day, and works at the after school program after-school. Barb may sound very boring and simple, but she actually does much more. Before school she gets up early and educates a young girl about religion so that the young girl can get into her dream college, at lunch she comes and hangs out with her TeamMate (Me), after-school she teaches kids fun and cool board games, and when she gets home she calls family and friends, making plans for the future. In this essay I will tell you about the basic information about Barb, her accomplishments, and why she inspires me.

Barb McCain is a very inspiring person, and to many people, too. Barb has done many things, but today she gets up early to teach religion to a young girl trying to get into her dream college, then she works as a para in the school day, and works at the after-school program afterwards, yet Barb takes off time to come visit with her TeamMate (Me), and socialize with family and friends on a daily basis. When asked why she decided to become a para and work at the after-school program she stated matter-of-factly, “I do it because children need a way to express themselves and to know that they are loved, and that they are very intelligent.” In her earlier days Barb served as a missionary and raised four intelligent children. Barb may have a very simple life-style to you, but to me she gives inspiration to others every day.

Barb not only gives inspiration, but she accomplishes things every day. Barb raised four beautiful children in her younger years, and all of them are grown and successful. Barb also served two missions for the Church of Jesus Christ, and accomplished many things during that time, for example; teaching people in the Isle of Man that families can be together. When asked what was her favorite thing she did as a missionary she replied, “… teaching people that families CAN be together forever in the Isle of Man, of course!” Barb owned a business in her lifetime, too. Barb has also become a para and a TeamMate in the last couple years. When I asked Barb how she got to where she was in life she explained, “Being old and having lots of experiences has brought me to where I am now.” Barb has also accomplished many other things.

Why is Barb McCain, an ordinary person, my inspiration? Barb Mccain is not only a good friend, but my TeamMate. A few years ago my parents got divorced, and, well, I didn’t take it too well. Everyday I would go to the guidance counselor’s in Elementary school, I would have to go there so often, she had already knew I was coming. I eventually got better, it took a few years, but I started going to the guidance counselor’s less and less often. Then I had a mid-life crisis, and it started all over again… this was at the end of fifth grade. In sixth grade I was still recovering, and I got a bright sheet of paper that had the word ‘TeamMate’ plastered on the front. I took it home and gave it to Mom, who contacted TeamMates and signed me up, thinking it would get me less depressed. It took a few months, but eventually Barb had gotten trained to be a TeamMate and we were starting to hang out together. The first meeting I explained everything to Barb, who listened contently, without saying a word, and let me blab out my life story. When I asked Barb what success was she said simply, “Being who you are… believing in what you believe… and… standing up for that.” I loved confiding in Barb, I could say something about my Dad or my Mom and she would be all bubbly and happy, unlike others who were happy when I said something good about Mom and not about Dad, or vice versa. Barb and I have been visiting each other for about a year now, and I have never been better. Barb is my inspiration, because she helped me get out of that nasty era in my life, and into one of my best.


Barb is a business owner, parent, family member, missionary, para, friend… etc. Barb is a very bubbly and happy person, no matter what happens, she will always be positive about the situation. When I asked Barb if she had any advice for others she said, “Be yourself… be true to yourself… educate yourself as much as possible… and continue that for the rest of your life.” Barb is not only astounding and loving, but a great inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment